I have long managed my fibromyalgia with healthy life-style choices including diet and exercise. My best fibro-fighting weapons? Starting my day with yoga and a healthy smoothie.
“To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art.”La Rouchefoucauld
The concept of eating “clean” just encourages you to consume more whole foods — such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains and healthy fats — and limit highly processed snack foods, sweets and other packaged foods. Yes, it’s a difficult concept to wrap your brain around during the holidays when we often indulge on extra calories in the form of holiday meals and baked goodies.
Oftentimes we equate healthy foods with tasteless foods. But done right smoothies are the perfect combination of both nutritious and flavorful foods. I have posted some recipes and pics on the blog and my Instagram of smoothies and smoothie bowls, so I thought I would grab my favorites in one post. Smoothies take about 5 minutes to put together in a blender, and then you have the perfect meal on the go!
My Favorite Recipes
- Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
- Almond Butter – Banana Smoothie
- Strawberry Cacao Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie
- My Pinterest Board of Smoothie Recipes
- My latest holiday indulgence – Pumpkin Spice Latte Smoothie:
- 8 ounces of Califia Farms Cold Brew Pumpkin Spice Latte (made with almond milk)
- 2 scoops of Vanilla Orgain protein powder
- 1 scoop collagen powder
- Shake in shaker bottle or throw in blender with ice for a little thicker version
My Favorite Pictures
My Go-To Ingredients
- Non-dairy milk – I use Almond, Coconut, or sometimes Hemp milk
- Non-whey protein powder – I use Orgain pea protein powders
- Collagen powder
- Frozen fruit like organic blueberries, bananas, strawberries, or dragon fruit (if I use fresh fruit, I add ice cubes)
- Some healthy fat like nut butters, avocado, or a bit of coconut MCT oil
- Frozen organic kale or spinach
- Chia Seeds
- Flax Seeds
- Granola (just a little on top for crunch) – my favorite is Purely Elizabeth or I make my own
Benefits of smoothies:
- It’s a great way to sneak more fruits, vegetables, and fiber into your diet.
- The combinations and options are endless!
- Protein-rich breakfasts keep you fuller longer, help you burn fat, and have many other health benefits.
benefits of your ingredients:
Depending on what you add to your smoothie, you can:
- Boost your immunity with Vitamin C (add strawberries, kiwi, citrus, even sweet potato)
- Boost your thyroid (add Greek yogurt, almond milk, avocados)
- Improve your digestion (add Greek yogurt, bananas, oats)
- Strengthen your brain (add Greek yogurt, flax seed, wheat germ)
- Stabilize your blood sugar (add fiber, like nut butters, flax)
- Improve eye health (add kale or spinach)
- Stay fuller longer (add extra fiber like chia or flax seeds)
- Get glowing skin (add collagen powder, pumpkin, or mango)
- Fight free radicals with antioxidants (blueberries, strawberries)
- Boost your mood (add cacao nibs or powder) – Here are 5 little known benefits of cacao.
It’s easy to swap out one meal a day for a healthy smoothie. I hope you’ll give one of these a try. You may just discover they taste so amazing that you don’t even care that they are healthy too! 😉
Original post dated 12/1/18. Update 8/4/19: I believe in the Orgain protein powder so much, I became an Orgain Ambassador. I will be trying all of the products soon, and you can too! To get 30% off and free shipping, follow this link and use my personal discount code: AMBASSADOR2076
Disclosure: This post is not sponsored. I purchase all of my own Orgain products. However, as an Orgain Ambassador I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase with my personal code.
Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe to share? Post or link it in the comments.