Smoothies are my go to breakfast food most days of the week for the fact that they are chock-full of fruits, veggies, and nutrients to get my day going. They are a great post-workout meal, replenish my energy, fill me up for several hours, and, oh, they taste great! Throw everything in a blender and you’re good to go.
According to Sue Ingebretson on ProHealth.com, “Chronic and systemic health challenges result in [a] downward spiral effect. The fibromyalgia body struggles for adequate function on a daily basis. Any kind of struggle expends energy.” So after my morning workout, I try to start my day with a nutritious meal that boosts energy and replenishes depleted resources. “Let’s not make the fibromyalgia body work any harder than it has to.”
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
For Mother’s Day, my kids treated me to some chocolate-covered strawberries, because they know how much I love them (I usually make them myself!)
So I thought I would try to make a smoothie reminiscent of that flavor that was full of antioxidants, protein, fiber, and iron to help nourish my body.
- 1 c. So Vanilla Organic Coconut Milk
- 2 scoops Orgain Organic Protein Powder Vanilla Bean
- 1 scoop Neocell Super Collagen Power
- 1 c. fresh strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. Navita Organics Cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp. Glutamine powder (aids in muscle recovery post-workout)
- 1/2 c. frozen organic kale
- 1/2 c. ice cubes (if I have frozen strawberries, I leave these out)
I blended all of this together. And then because I love a little bit of crunch in my smoothies, I stirred in:
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
and then I sprinkled the top with:
- purely elizabeth Original Ancient Grain Granola
- Cacao Nibs
Benefits of Raw Cacao
Cacao is one of the “Superfoods” – foods that contain significantly higher quantities of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and other health-boosting, anti-aging, disease-fighting nutrients. Here are 5 little known benefits of cacao, courtesy of Be Good Organics.
- 40 times the antioxidants of blueberries.
- Highest plant-based source of iron
- Full of magnesium
- More calcium than cow’s milk
- A natural mood-elevator
“Food should be cleansing, it should be restorative, it should be fun!” ~James Colquhoun
What’s your favorite superfood? Do you have a favorite post-workout smoothie?
P.S. Try my other smoothie recipes: